11 June, 2010

Uruguay v. France

Uruguay 0-0 France

My Take
In truth, I'd heard the score before I got home. And while I consider myself as die-hard as they come and believe that a nil-nil game can be hugely compelling, I didn't really watch this game closely. I have no attachment to Uruguay (though they have won the tournament twice, in 1930 and 1950 ... more times than France), and I think that this prodigal French team is a bore.

I have loved French teams in the past, and I love watching plenty of this team's players with their clubs. The squad is far too talented to play this ineffectually. But they're led by a coach they don't respect, and they haven't given us any reason to think they'll rise above that to change their pattern. I'm doubtful they can do any better against Mexico; in fact, I think I'll be in the unusual position of rooting for our CONCACAF foes.

Uruguay will be happy to have taken a point; how will they cope with South Africa and the cicada-like vuvuzela chorus?

1 comment:

Joey said...

A take from South Africa: you are right on. I went to this game, and it was the most boring game of soccer I've ever seen live. No one played to win. The stadium is breathtaking, though, and the atmosphere is so inspiring that nothing was taken away from the experience. And, what this bore of a performance does do is leave the door wide open for Tshulala (or whatever his name is) and Bufana Bufana.

The country is alive with soccer fever, and the streets are teeming with green and yellow.

Go US!

Joey